Alejandro (Alex) Jaimes, Ph.D.
I'm a scientist and innovator with 15+ years of international experience in research and product impact (Yahoo, KAIST, Telefonica, IDIAP-EPFL, Fuji Xerox, IBM, Siemens, and AT&T Bell Labs). I've worked in the USA, Japan, Chile, Switzerland, Spain, and South Korea. I have a Ph.D. from Columbia University.
At Yahoo I manage a team of scientists and engineers in Barcelona, Bangalore, Sunnyvale, and New York City. My activities include setting the research strategy, and directly contributing to Yahoo products such as Yahoo News, Image and Video search, Flickr, and others.
I focus on using large-scale data analysis to gain insights into human behavior for improving and creating new products. I design and build applications, and work on Human-Centered Computing, at the intersection of data science [social network analysis, behavioral insights], user experience [interaction, multimedia, design], and business [visualization, analytics], combining quantitative and qualitative methods for innovation.
I like to travel, read, and explore different cultures. I have worked and lived in 8 cities in 4 continents [Bogota, New York, Santiago de Chile, Tokyo, Lausanne, Madrid, Barcelona, Daejeon] and traveled in 80+ countries [Flickr].
Upcoming invited talks
- Intl. Workshop on HCI, Universidad del Bosque, Bogota, Colombia, May 2015.
- LDV Vision Summit: Innovation & Trends in Video and Digital Imaging, NYC, May 2015.
- Deep Learning Summit, Boston, April 2015.
- Columbia Universtiy IGERT Distinguished Speaker Series, NYC, March, 2015.
- Personalizationpalooza, New York City, February 2015.
- The Beauty of Capturing Faces: Rating the Quality of Digital Portraits, IEEE Intl. Conf. on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, 2015.
- 6 Seconds of Sound and Vision: Creativity in Micro-Videos CVPR 2014
- Cold-start News Recommendation with Domain-dependent Browse Graph, ACM Recommender Systems 2014.